Re: [Devel] Synchronising Linux and Windows passwords

Siterer Per Harald Westby <per.h.westby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Dear Max & everybody
>
> I am "essentially" away from my mail, but felt I had to mention this in
> conjunction with the ongoing exchange on user passwords etc. in Windoze
> and OpenLDAP:
>
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/studentgrupper/2003-macwin-integr/
>
> This is a student project at NTNU done spring 2003 (and guided by me), and
> very much related to the subjects you are discussing.
>
> There are two (different) problems, though:
>
> 1) Much of the documentation is in Norwegian
> 2) The project results need a maintenance team to be set up, for the
>    results to be integrated in "mainstream" Skolelinux.

The results of this project are sound, even if parts of the documentation is in
Norwegian, most of that is not essential for a developer to understand the results.

This particular thread has been about synchronising Linux and Windows passwords,
a task the project did not solve, so it's an extension of the project. It is
working, but it seems that Samba needs to bind to LDAP as the admin user, hence
the need to have access to the admin password. If you or the students you
mentored know anything about this issue, please enlighten us :-)

--
Ragnar Wisløff