Re: [Devel] info about cd production

tirsdag 8. juli 2003, 06:16, skrev Paolo M. Pumilia:
> First of all, is there, to your knowledge, a business company that
> would be interested to sign an agreement with aica to produce four
> cd iso images and maintain the distro for two years?

Well ... :-)

The Ministry of Education and Research in Norway (MER) has almost
ordered us to make a company that can support the Norwegian primary
and secondary school with maintained «Linux for school» Debian
Linux-distro for more than five years. The administrative process has
taken 8 month couse of the delicate balance between voluntary and
professional contributions.

The future work will be done in close cooperation with the research
network for education in Norway (http://www.uninettabc.no/) and three
County Councils. The goal is to implement the national IT-architecture
for the Norwegian schools. All the necessary decisions are made. Some
paperwork remains. The professional part of the work will be organised
as a foundation. The voluntary contributions will hopefully get more
stable founding. Until now over 120 persons has contributed with 30
000 man-hour in voluntary contributions only in Norway. The Ministry
wants us to keep up the good work. On example is the summer gathering
of Debian and Skolelinux-developers in next week:

http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/delprosjekt/opplegg_utviklertreff_juli_2003.txt

> How does it cost to produce a cd iso image?

It depends how much tailoring, and what services that has to be
reduced/removed? We have some additional info about the project
that could be interesting to know?

http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/innlegg/k12ltsp.html.en
http://developer.skolelinux.no/our_distro.html.en
http://developer.skolelinux.no/arkitektur/arkitektur.html.en

> How much to maintain the distro for two years?

Our last calculation was 4200 hour/year - as we reported to the
Ministry of Education and Research.  Over two years it's
probable 8400 hours?  This is just technical work. Translating
OpenOffice, GNOME and KDE is on an other estimate. Our
OpenOffice-estimates are in English. Other estimates are in Norwegian
(unfortunately).  Everything has to be recalculated. The last time we
calculated this was 15 moth ago. The report was partly founded from
Ministry of Education and Research (200 hours was founded, 1000
hours was voluntary work).

http://developer.skolelinux.no/rapporter/forprosjekt/node12.html
http://developer.skolelinux.no/rapporter/forprosjekt/forprosjekt.html
http://developer.skolelinux.no/rapporter/ooo_statusrapport_sun_20030508.sxw
(in OpenOffice-format)

> How much to burn a number of cds?

Around 0,7 EURO for each CD in Norway (without CD-cover).

We have most of the raw figures of what it take to do what you ask
for. To recalculate our figures we need some more precise description
of what you want.

Sincerely

Knut Yrvin
--
Project leader OpenOffice to Norwegian - and - Skolelinux-project
Office: IT-staf i Akershus County Council, Schweigaards gate 4,