Re: [Devel] info about cd production

From Knut Yrvin, Jul 08:
 >The Ministry of Education and Research in Norway (MER) has almost
 >ordered us to make a company that can support the Norwegian primary
 >and secondary school with maintained «Linux for school» Debian
 >Linux-distro for more than five years. The administrative process has
 >taken 8 month couse of the delicate balance between voluntary and
 >professional contributions.

when such company will be established?

 >The future work will be done in close cooperation with the research
 >network for education in Norway (http://www.uninettabc.no/) and three
 >County Councils. The goal is to implement the national IT-architecture

Is Karmøy one of that councils? The Pedagogisk Senter of Karmøy is involved
in our project.

 >for the Norwegian schools. All the necessary decisions are made. Some
 >paperwork remains. The professional part of the work will be organised
 >as a foundation. The voluntary contributions will hopefully get more
 >stable founding. Until now over 120 persons has contributed with 30
 >000 man-hour in voluntary contributions only in Norway. The Ministry
 >wants us to keep up the good work. On example is the summer gathering
 >of Debian and Skolelinux-developers in next week:
 >http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/prosjektet/delprosjekt/opplegg_utviklertreff_juli_2003.txt
 >
 >> How does it cost to produce a cd iso image?
 >It depends how much tailoring, and what services that has to be
 >reduced/removed? We have some additional info about the project
 >that could be interesting to know?

Not much. If the terminal server is already included, our main requirement
is to add a little number of educational applications with docs and some
specification about configuration and desktop set up.

Does Kde desktop and gnome (libs only) fit into one cd?
I guess openoffice cannot be included in one cd....

 >> How much to maintain the distro for two years?
 >Our last calculation was 4200 hour/year - as we reported to the
 >Ministry of Education and Research.  Over two years it's
 >probable 8400 hours?  This is just technical work. Translating

That is much. I think we could rely on other volunteer groups or business
for most of translations.

What is left should be updating packages and setting up configurations
as specified by the board of directors of our project.
What do you think about that? Did i miss any maintainnance activities?

Anyway, how many euros per hour, as an average estimate?

 >> How much to burn a number of cds?
 >Around 0,7 EURO for each CD in Norway (without CD-cover).

No 'scale effect', lowering prices for a larger number of cds?

 >We have most of the raw figures of what it take to do what you ask
 >for. To recalculate our figures we need some more precise description
 >of what you want.

i see.

thank you

--