Re: [Devel] Re: CVS update: skolelinux/src/webmin-ldap-skolelinux fileimport-example.txt

[Maximilian Wilhelm]
> I think, the easiest way to do that is to use 1 character of the
> first name, 6 chars of the last name an one incremented integer.

Personally, I do not like numbers in user names.  It is so simple to
avoid it (just split the first/last name in a different position), and
should only be needed if you got millions of users.

I will suggest using an algorithm using only letters, and give
pointers to a few existing implementations doing this.  If the person
doing the implementation want to do it differently, I might do some
work to make another version of the algorithm, but will probably just
leave it as it is.  It depends on how much work I believe it is to
change it. :)

So, the implementor get to decide, but please avoid numbers in the
username as much as possible.

(But do not try to encode group info into the username.  We want to
use the group mechanism for that.  Those wanting to include
start/finish year or stuff like that in the user name will have to do
it without my support. :-)