Re: [Devel] LVM partitioning configuration?

On 20 Jun 2003 10:38:33 +0200
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Tollef Fog Heen]
> > I think you are right, and switching from LVM to EVMS should also be
> > fairly painless since the on-disk storage format is the same.
>
> Right.
>
> I've changed all profiles except the standalone ones to use LVM on
> /var and /usr.  We will have to test how that works out.  But should
> swap be on LVM as well?

LVM provides variable size volumes. swap doesn't need that - more swap
areas can be defined instead. LVM requires a little more computing
overhead, so avoiding its use with swap is preferred.

If running RAID then swap has a benefit of using that: If a disk fails
you don't want your (virtual) memory to corupt.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

 - Jonas