Re: [Devel] Klaus Knopper want's to support us to integrate his hw detection in skolelinux

[Frank Matthieß]

> Wether i use knoppix on serveral pc's, nor skolelinux. So i cant say
> something about the detection quality of both of them. That was not
> the intention.

OK.  I was just wondering if the current system had some problems I
did not know about.

> Non PnP Cards: No.
> PnP Cards via compiled in pnp support.

The current discover version we are using can not handle ISA cards at
all.  No one have implemented/fixed ISA support.  This is a good
argument to use the knoppix HW detection package as well.

> Also Klaus mentioned that. The important part ist the database.

Our current database is in CVS, src/rebuilds/discover-data/.  It
contains a lot of changes relative to the package in Debian.  I use a
script in base-config-skolelinux/tools/ to update the pci database.

Perhaps you can have a look and try to update our database with info
from knoppix.

The debian package for knoppix should be included in our APT source,
and we need to check if it works even if discover is installed and
enabled.  The packages discover and hotplug work together, so I
suspect the knoppix package should work as well.

Getting ISA support would be really nice.  We need to update
xdebconfigurator to use the info from knoppix hw detection as well as
all the others it is using at the moment.