[Devel] Re: First time setup skolelinux with pr34

[Frank Matthieß]
> So i try it...

Thank you for testing it.  It is nice to hear that most of what we
have been working on for 1.5 year is working. :)

> First of all: Very easy to use this installer. Great work.

Good. :)

> The first problem was at the stage choosing a language: Thera a list
> with four entries with your favourite languages ;-) of norway and
> lativa. Hopefully we contribute to the project, that the german
> entry ascending to the first page ;-) (just a joke).  There ist no
> hint or text, to press enter to get the next page of the menu. I try
> it and there i'm able to choose "en" or better "de".

Yes, I know.  The languagechooser need a redesign.  The first answer
is passed on to the second stage installer (base-config), while the
second answer is used to configure the language of the first stage
installer.  This is of course not the way I want it.

> The second problem was, that after choosing the german language, the
> keyboard driver is'nt "de".

I know.  The keyboard is currently always American in the first stage
installer, and language-specific (based on the locale) in the second
stage installer.  Someone in Debian is working on a keyboard chooser
for debian-installer, and we are are going to use it when it is
finished.

> A hint, just before reboot should be, to leave the cd in the open cd
> tray, because the installer need this after reboot.

I do not understand what you mean.  The CD is ejected after the first
stage installer, right?  This is intentional to make sure the machine
do not boot from CD.  I do not know any way to tell the BIOS not to
reinsert the CD at boot time.

There is supposed to be a popup message to the user leting them know
that the machine is about to reboot from HD, but there is some bugs in
that part of the code, and the popup fail to appear before the machine
reboots.

> After that, the packages install without any further interaction and
> problems.

Good.

> The first time i logged in as root, i check the LANG var. The value
> is'nt "de_DE", there is "no_NO". Also the keyboard is'nt german, nor
> english.

Then you choose Norwegian Bokmål on the first language question.  The
keyboard is Norwegian. :-)

> For the systemaccounts like "root" LANG should be "C", and for all
> other the choosen language. My prefernce is to place this LANG
> setting for root in his ~/.profile or similar.

We set LANG in /etc/environment, and it is intentional that the
default locale is the same for every user, also root.  I believe
having different config for root and normal users and system users
will create more confusion, and do not indent do change this.

> I start "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and choose my prefered locales
> like all three de_DE entries and both en_GB entries and also both
> en_US to get no more local problems. I setup "de_DE" as system
> default.

Yes.  I just wish the locales package would fix
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=168345> in woody
as well.  Then we could set the locale using preconfigured debconf
answers instead of the current method using cfengine.

> By running the generation of the locales the process warn's
>
> "nb_NO.ISO-8859-1...cannot open locale definiton file 'nb_NO': no
> such file or directory"

Yes, it is a problem with Norwegian Bokmål.  It have too kodes no_NO
and nb_NO, and some programs uses one and other programs uses the
other.  We want to move everyone over to use nb_NO, but there is still
quite a bit left to change.  A new and improved language chooser will
fix it.

> After that i configure my keyboard with "dpkg-reconfigure
> console-data".

Good. :)

> Im really impressed by this setup. I'm sure that this is the only one way
> to make a stressfree rollout of skolelinux.

Good.  Then you will be pleased to know I have succeeded making the
install process even simpler.  With a few new modules you can choose
'high' priority limit for cdebconf to get rid of almost all stops in
the first stage installer.  It will probably be included in pr35. :-)

> Time to install a skolelinux server aprox. 30min.
> (300MHz Pentium II, 256MB RAM, ATA66 40GB IDE, 32x CDROM)

Good.  Did you try the server+LTSP-server as well?  Make sure the
machine have two network cards and you will have a working
LTSP-server. :)