First time setup skolelinux with pr34 (Was: [Devel] New CD image pr34)

At 21.01.2003 on 19:03 CET +0100, wrote Petter Reinholdtsen:

> (For the first time in english to make it understandable for our
> international crew. :)

So i try it...

> I've make a new CD image, prerelease 34.  It is available from
> <URL:ftp://developer.skolelinux.no/skolelinux-cd/>.  The image size is
> 650 MiB.

A collegue of mine fetch the iso image and now i sit between two Monitors
and install the server profile in german (de).

First of all: Very easy to use this installer. Great work.

The first problem was at the stage choosing a language: Thera a list
with four entries with your favourite languages ;-) of norway and
lativa. Hopefully we contribute to the project, that the german entry
ascending to the first page ;-) (just a joke).
There ist no hint or text, to press enter to get the next page of the
menu. I try it and there i'm able to choose "en" or better "de".

The second problem was, that after choosing the german language, the
keyboard driver is'nt "de".

A hint, just before reboot should be, to leave the cd in the open cd
tray, because the installer need this after reboot.

After that, the packages install without any further interaction and
problems.

The first time i logged in as root, i check the LANG var. The value
is'nt "de_DE", there is "no_NO". Also the keyboard is'nt german, nor
english.

For the systemaccounts like "root" LANG should be "C", and for all other
the choosen language. My prefernce is to place this LANG setting for
root in his ~/.profile or similar.

I start "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and choose my prefered locales like
all three de_DE entries and both en_GB entries and also both en_US to
get no more local problems. I setup "de_DE" as system default.

By running the generation of the locales the process warn's

"nb_NO.ISO-8859-1...cannot open locale definiton file 'nb_NO': no such file or directory"

After that i configure my keyboard with "dpkg-reconfigure console-data".

Im really impressed by this setup. I'm sure that this is the only one way
to make a stressfree rollout of skolelinux.

Time to install a skolelinux server aprox. 30min.
(300MHz Pentium II, 256MB RAM, ATA66 40GB IDE, 32x CDROM)

Frank Matthieß.
--
Frank Matthieß                                    frankm@xxxxxxxxxx

     Digital Restriction Managment - Freedom for industry.
             Ross Anderson TCPA/Palladium FAQ
        http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
      http://moon.hipjoint.de/tcpa-palladium-faq-de.html