[Devel] Re: Transition: new PAM config file handling in unstable

Hi Petter,

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 06:14:48PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Steve Langasek]
> > - At a later date, it will be possible to support tools for
> >   debconf-based management of the authentication subsystem so that
> >   administrators can seamlessly integrate workstations into (e.g.)
> >   Kerberos, LDAP, or Windows NT authentication realms.  No work has
> >   been done yet to develop these tools, and they are unlikely to be
> >   ready in time for sarge; but this is a realistic goal for sarge+1,
> >   or for customized installers based on sarge.

> Skolelinux is currently setting up LDAP at install time, and would
> love to have a more standardized way to do it.  At the moment, we just
> replace the files in /etc/pam.d/, and edit /etc/nsswitch.conf,
> /etc/pam_ldap.conf and /etc/libnss-ldap.conf.

> Is there anything we can do to assist the progress of the system to
> automatically set up LDAP/NIS/whatever at install time?  We would love
> to be able to do this in a policy-compliant way. :)

I'm fairly certain that neither Sam nor I would have the time to work on
this piece ourselves before sarge's release, but if you're able to
prepare a suitable tool for managing authentication choices, it's
possible it could still be considered for inclusion in sarge.

Such a tool would need an interface for new authentication modules to
register themselves; it would need to allow the administrator to opt for
at least minimal module stacking (LDAP w/ fallback to pam_unix, for
example); and it would need to understand how to manage
/etc/pam.d/common-auth, /etc/pam.d/common-account, and /etc/pam.d/other.
Technically, to be policy-compliant, the config-writing portion of this
tool must also be part of the libpam-runtime package.  For an added
bonus, the tool can be called by the name 'authconfig', which is the
name Red Hat uses for their system.

I believe Sam has some other goals for this tool, specifically relating
to Kerberos/AFS support; I'll let him speak for himself on those.

If I can provide any input that would help someone work on implementing
this, please let me know.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer