Re: [Devel] Recommended mapings: æ->ae, ø->oe, å->aa

Am Samstag, den 26 Juli hub Knut Yrvin folgendes in die Tasten:

> When there is no way to compensate for automaticly mappings back and
> forth between «æøå» and some combinations of letters, in an human
> readable form,

> -- should we be forced to choose,
> -- should it be the historical linguistic and precedence
>   for language-choices in Skolelinux which should prevail

> -- or should it be a technical standard where probably nobody
>   has asked the linguistic people what best for humans to read?

That it :)

> The big question (because it's to early to conclude)?

> The goal should be that we allow user name with «øæå», home
> directories with the Norwegian letters, and also in web-address
> etc. When we are not doing this because of limitations in the
> standards (or tools), should we take the linguistical approach, or
> should we just follow the standard that is recommended?

To use language-specific characters in email or web adresses is evil.
How should I mail e.g. mail Vidar, if his name is written in norwegian
letters? If I have to use some kind of unicode table, I get bored.

> Suggestion (solve it with usability :)

In my optiniol usability is, if you can logon on every maschine
not depending on the keyboard layout and such things. If only use
öäü in normal letters anymore; on the net I automatically type oe ae ue.

> The simple user friendly soulution to this is to give the pupils an
> updated addressbook connected to the LDAP-service, and there they can
> search after correct names with Norwegian letters. The e-mail-address is
> then of minor importance, because the pupils get the right adresses
> easy from the database before sending the e-mail :-). When doing this
> you shadows the problem with øæå->aoa | oeaeaa ...

So you want some piece of software, that wraps all the language-specific
letters to ASCII characters?
I think it is a lot easier to use only ASCII characters in every case,
so noone will get in trouble.
Remind: If one of your pupils has to work on another system, on which
he has no influence, he will get into trouble. If you enforce them to
use ASCII characters only, they can work on nearly every system, they
have to. (except japanese :-))

Ciao
Max
--