Re: [Devel] German system specification

On 2003-06-27 12:27, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I had a look, and believe most of it is already covered in the current
> Skolelinux.  I did however react to the strong belief in technical
> sensorship expressed in the document.  I believe it is better to
> control the used content using social and practical mechanism, like
> making sure the screens are visible to everyone, and making the usage
> rules known to all.
hear, hear!

Petter gave some good starts above I'd like to add:
+ always make sure there's a teacher around when kids are on the Net (you
don't let kid wander around unsupervised on a fieldtrip, nor should you on
the net)
+ give the kids a good starting point, starting from a good site makes a world
of difference.
+ _teach_ kids how to do things like searching (e.g. *never* search with only
one word only, you're bound to hit a double meaning)
+ set up some clear rules about what is allowed, what isn't, and what to do
when in doubt -> let the kids know where the bounds are
+ have a standard procedure for kids to follow when they stumble on something
out of bounds when (this *will* happen sooner or later regardless of how much
you try to avoid it). Something like "If you find yourself on fishy site,
immediately call over the nearest teacher". Thus allowing that teacher to
deal with the kids reaction to whatever they stumbled on.

>Web filtering is proven not to work, both failing
> to block information that should be unavailable and to block
> information that should be available.

There's basicly two approaches to filter software:
+ black/whitelist: doesn't work simply no way to keep up
+ heuristics (keywords, ...): false positive rates are around 80% for these,
plus the real bad sites use tricks like embedding the blocked keywords as
images.

The basic problem is that webfiltering attempts to let a computer judge the
meaning/context of things. This is a hard AI problem
- -> don't expect this to work anytime soon (if ever).

A better solution is to let the computer/server look for certain techniques
used:
+ use a pop-up blocker (of course most (all?) browsers on linux have this
possibility by default)
+ use software like privoxy (GPL) to replace banners and adds with a
checkerboard pattern, or remove them all to gether (can squid do this?)

This gets rid of an amazing amount of rubbish (the few legit sites that stop
working because of this can be put on a whitelist)

We probably should make sure that the default profile enables the
popup-blocker, uses privoxy (or something with the same functionality),
disables non-session cookies, ...
- --
Cheers, cobaco

/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /  No proprietary formats in attachments without request
 X   i.e. *NO* WORD, POWERPOINT or EXCEL documents
/ \  Respect Open Standards
      http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
      http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html