[Devel] Re: about skolelinux - joining efforts?

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Paolo M. Pumilia]

My opinion is that installation procedure of network services should
be modular, to allow the operator to install different servers on
different stations (e.g., proxy server on a dedicated machine,
firewall, on another one, and so on).

My opinion is that the installation procedure should be as simple as
possible, to get the teacher responsible for the computer up and
running in no time.  Every extra question, and every extra option make
it harder for a person with no Linux experience to get Skolelinux
working.  I do not want to make the service distribution a default
option.  I want to make it easy to distribute the services to
different machines after the installation is done.

This is the principle, the c't/ODS Kommunikaionsserver is designed for. It has been developed at my proposal by a group of german computer enthusiasts about 5 years ago in cooperation with c't, Germanys largest and most competent computer magazine. It is so easy to install and supports so many options in an easy way, that it has become the standard solution for internet connection.

But as it is a server alone solution, something corresponding for the desktop is missing. This is the point, where I think skolelinux could join in.

Remember, Skolelinux is Debian.  Everything in Debian is available in
Skolelinux.  All we got is a streamlined installation and some
preconfigured services and preinstalled software. :)
And we are working on getting all of Skolelinux included in Debian,
but some of the packages need more work before they will be accepted
into Debian.

Does Skolelinux allow an easy sharing out of services?

Yes, using DNS service names as Harald described.

Further, I have teh following questions:

I believe these questions are already answered. :)

Best whishes Karl -- Dr. Karl Sarnow Teacher at Gymnasium Isernhagen German national co-ordinator of the European Schools Project e-Mail: karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx URL: http://www.shuttle.schule.de/h/dadoka