Re: [Devel] Skolelinux PR36 - First Try (failed)

[Cord Beermann]
> I tried to install skolelinux PR36 to a Pentium166-Box and get this:
>
> | ISOLINUX 1.67/debian-cd 2002-05-14 isolinux: Loading spec packet
> | failed, trying to wing it ...
> |
> | isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.
>
> The system itself is fine, it runs Debian-testing (until yesterday)
> and booting with Knoppix (mid 2002) and Linuxtag-Debian-CDs from
> 2000 and 2001 isn't also no problem.

Strange.  We use the same boot mechanism that is used on Debian/Woody
CD 1.  You can try to boot from floppy, the on on the CD as
install/skolelinux-cdrom144-1440.img.

> the system has a Phoenix-BIOS 4.05 and an Adaptec 2940U/UW/D
> SCSI-Controller. hmmm... what else could be interesting?

I have heard about some boot problems on old BIOSes.  Is the Phoenix
BIOS old?

> To continue testing: is it possible to install a small Debian
> $something and point sources.list to the skolelinux-CD to update, or
> do i miss something then? (questions somewhere in the installer?)

Not easily.  You will miss most of the skolelinux configuration.  You
need to make sure base-config-skolelinux and discover is installed
before reboot from HD, and you should also partition the disk with LVM
support.  Our package only handle CD installs at the moment.  It would
be nice if it was able to handle network installs as well.