[Devel] Re: Need storage area for your Woody packages?

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 09:07:26PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Hello

Hi Petter,

> I just noticed your collection of back-ported Woody packages[1] , and
> realised that you are doing part of the same job as we in the
> Skolelinux[2] project are doing.  We have back-ported a few packages
> from Sid/Sarge, and added a few extra packages[3].  We try to keep
> "our" packages as few as possible to reduce the amount of work we have
> to do maintaining these packages.
>
> My question to you is this.  Would you be interested in maintaining
> the packages you build as part of the Skolelinux framework?  In
> return, we can host your complete collection of back-ported and extra
> packages on our development server, developer.skolelinux.no.  It is
> well connected to the Internet, and we can buy some more hard-drives
> if we run out of space.  Interested?  You can join us as a Skolelinux
> developer as well if you want to. :)

first of all thanks for your offer. My packages are located on a machine
with an excellent connection to the German university network so there's
no need for a different hosting or a mirror. You are free to mirror my
packages but I don't want "official" mirrors. This is not personal
against you, but I don't want to be in any way responsible if there were
problems with outdated or broken mirrors.

Besides I don't want to maintain my packages as part of a different
framework, I want them to be an independent collection of packages. I'd
be happy if you want to use my packages as a base and I'm always
interested in bug reports and suggestions for other packages to add.

The current plans with my packages are:
- The bunk-1 packages will enter the Beta phase within at about one
  month and after the Beta phase they will be in a stable state with
  nearly no changes (only security fixes and fixes for really serious
  problems). If you need a stable base for your work this might be a
  good choice for you.
- I plan to eventually start bunk-2 packages after the bunk-1 packages
  left the Beta phase that will contain the bunk-1 packages plus
  additional packages.

I don't think I'd be a good Skolelinux developer since I don't speak a
single word Norwegian but if you have a specific problem and need help
you can contact me and as my time and knowledge permits I'll try to help
you.

cu
Adrian

--