Re: [Devel] estimating disk space usage

[Paolo M. Pumilia]
> Probably we will a small firm wil be commited to do the same, but i
> would like to get a couple of firms (or other bodies) involved in the
> same project.
>
> How much (in euros) to rebuild the same distro, adding a few
> educational applications? Who should be charged for that?
[...]
> Can you point me at some utilities to estimate changes in the used
> space on the knoppix-like cd, when adding or deleting application
> packets?

I'm sorry this is late, but the Debian/Skolelinux developer-conference
at University of Oslo took all our time the previous week.  At the
conference I contacted Conrad Newton with your questions. He is making
the Nordic version of Knoppix and has i lot of insight on Skolelinux.

I'm sorry this is late, but the Debian/Skolelinux developer-conference
at University of Oslo took all our time the previous week.  At the
conference I contacted Conrad Newton with your questions. He is making
the Nordic version of Knoppix and has i lot of insight on Skolelinux.

http://ragnarok.marlow.dk/debconf3/

To repeat the questions for our frend Newton. You want to know the
following:

- What programs could you get on an educational
  Knoppix/Skolelinux-CD?
- How much work is it to produce and maintain
  the CD?
- How could we calculate the space used by
  different programs on a Knoppix/Skolelinux-CD?

Our suggestion is that the work is organised through Debian community
with help of an Foundation that is organised as recommended by The
Department for Education and Research in Norway.

Some background: Here is the list of programs that is distributed on
the Skolelinux-CD:
http://www.spist.no/veiviseren/showProgramsInSkolelinux.php

Here is the links to the work Newton has done :-)
http://home.broadpark.no/~aklepp/newton/knoppix/NORDISKNOPPIX/nordisknoppix.html
http://home.broadpark.no/~aklepp/newton/linux.html

Sincerly

Knut Yrvin