Re: [Devel] Synchronising Linux and Windows passwords

Maximilian Wilhelm wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 24 Juli hub Ragnar Wisløff folgendes in die Tasten:

I've got Samba doing updates of the LDAP userPassword attribute when a
password change is initiated from a Windows client. However, this requires
binding using the admin LDAP user and supplying the admin password.
So far this is done in a Perl script and storing this admin password in
clear text in the script. I don't like having the password stored like this.
Is there another way? Is it somehow possible to access the password so that
it is not visible?

I'm not sure, but it guess, it is possible, to handle the passwordchange under Unix via PAM, so it should be possible, to call /usr/bin/passwd when changing the (samba-)password. Then only PAM has to know the LDAP-admin-password (which is stored in /etc/ldap.secret anyway) Any PAM-guru here? :-)

That file will always contain the password? Then I can just have the Perl script get it from there. It is run as root now even if that is not ideal either.

I have tried to make the script run using the Samba macro %o (old password) and using ldapmodify ... -w $oldpass in the Perl script. This works from the command line, but not when run from inside Samba. I tried turning on the

passwd chat debug = yes

in smb.conf, but nothing shows up in the logs (is that parameter deprecated?).