[Devel] Re: about skolelinux - joining efforts?

Paolo M. Pumilia wrote:
From Petter Reinholdtsen, Jun 14:
 >The Skolelinux services are described in
 ><URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/arkitektur/arkitektur.html.en>.

Hi Petter,

I am resuming my request, as i am copying to Karl, who is part of the project as well.

We are considering delivering a one-cd-linux distribution to a selected
number of schools in a few districts in italy, to set up a linux based LAN. (possibly Karmøy school district, norway, and a school near Hannover, germany
coud be involved, since they already joined a complementary part of our project, to experiment educational applications in schools).

My opinion is that installation procedure of network services should be modular,
to allow the operator to install different servers on different stations (e.g., proxy server on a dedicated machine, firewall, on another one, and so on). Does Skolelinux allow an easy sharing out of services?

Further, I have teh following questions:

- Could european commercial firms be involved, to provide technical assitance?

Yes, I asked SuSE Linux but have no answer so far. But I assume they are willing to support the project

   That is, is there any proprietary appications added to the skolelinux dist?
 - What is your added value?  Is it a special user interface?
 - Would it be possible to include skolelinux into a knoppix-type distribution,
   so as to be able to put together educational applications in one cd?

Thank you

Please also try the SuSE 8.2 LiveEval CDROM. You can download it from their server (http://www.suse.de). This version of a Live CD has the advantage, that it stores its configuration files on a Windows partition, so after a reboot, all cofigurationi files are still there, even though you did not install Linux but start directly from CDROM.

CU
Karl

-- Dr. Karl Sarnow Teacher at Gymnasium Isernhagen German national co-ordinator of the European Schools Project e-Mail: karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx URL: http://www.shuttle.schule.de/h/dadoka