Subject: Software Patents: Help Us Win in the Europarl!
Date: 2003-08-21 01:16
From: bxl030827@xxxxxxxx
To: cobaco@xxxxxxxx

**CONFIDENTIAL**

   Dear FFII/Eurolinux supporter[1],

   The European Parliament is voting on September 1st on a proposal
   which, while pretending to aim at restricting patentability, in
   reality ensures that algorithms and business methods like Amazon One
   Click Shopping indisputably become patentable inventions (and
   indisputably pass the bogus requirement of "technical contribution in
   the inventive step").

   As past experience shows, it is possible for powerful lobbies to push
   incredibly bad directives through the European Parliament. But it is
   also possible to have them rejected. Everything depends on how well we
   use last week of August.

Needed: You in Brussels Next Wednesday August 27th

   We need your presence in Brussels on August. We will stage a
   performance on Luxemburg Square and a small conference in the
   Parliament.

   see

     Aug 27 Demonstrations against EU Software Patent Plans
     http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/demo0819/index.en.html

   We encourage you to participate in this event and to join our lobby
   team in the parliament before and after that date. You could also
   contribute by arranging a meeting between your MEP and our team.

   Beds will be available for free for those who particpate.

Needed: Your Website Blocked Next Wednesday August 27th

   If the JURI proposal passes, important websites will be forced off the
   Net in the near future. It would seem preferable to take them off the
   Net now, as a demonstration, for a few days. Or, in a more gentle
   manner, to hide the content behind a "Page Closed" screen of the
   following kind:

   see

      Online Demonstration Against Software Patents
      http://swpat.ffii.org/group/demo/index.en.html

   The www.ffii.org title page is already hidden in this way and will
   continue to stay hidden until after the vote.

   You might consider hiding some or all pages at least on August 27th
   and persuading your friends, especially those who administer
   much-visited software download pages, to do likewise.

Needed: 8,000 eur for demo and lobbying expenses

   In June and July, we have subsidised the work of a handful of
   activists who spread the word within the European Parliament. We will
   do more of this again starting on August 25th. For each activist we
   pay the trip, a bed and breakfast plus around 50 eur per day.

   In order to reach out to all 626 MEPs during the last week of August,
   we need 10 knowledgable people from different nationalities to spend
   that week in Brussels.

   You can support the work of our lobbyists by calling your MEPs on your
   own. We have arranged a series of helpdesks at

                             europarl@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-uk@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-de@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-fr@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-es@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-pt@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-it@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-gr@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-dk@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-se@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-fi@xxxxxxxx
                            europarl-ie@xxxxxxxx

   where you can receive hints as to whom to talk to and what to say.
   These again need to be staffed and paid.

   The result of our concerted effort should be that fewer of McCarthy's
   amendments and more of "ours" achieve a majority. This would, at the
   very least, send the draft report back to the JURI committee and open
   another round of negotiations there.

   If you want to donate for this project, please use the keyword
   europarl. If you want to restrict the use of the donation to a
   particular country, specify europarl-uk or analogous.

Needed: 3,000 eur for lobbying the media

   Arlene McCarthy and friends are concentrating great efforts on
   spreading misinformation in the press. Influential journalists have
   helped, sometimes against their better knowledge, to create the
   impression that McCarthy is trying to restrict patentability. See the
   documentation at

     JURI votes for Fake Limits on Patentability
     http://swpat.ffii.org/news/03/juri0617/index.en.html

   We have however also actively contacted media and produced a series of
   press releases. It is largely due to this activity that a majority of
   media, including some mainstream media such as Der Spiegel, Le Monde,
   Libération, The Guardian, Süddeutsche Zeitung and others treated
   McCarthy's proposal as what it is: an attempt to introduce US-style
   unlimited patentability in Europe. Much of this happened because we
   actively established contacts with the potentially interested
   journalists and gained their confidence as a reliable source of
   information.

   We have however not yet succeded in finding our way into many radio
   and television programs. This again could be changed with a concerted
   and paid effort.

   As with the Europarl work, the key helpers should not only directly
   contact media themselves but also provide coaching for volunteers who
   want to help. Again we are providing a series of helpdesk addresses

                               media@xxxxxxxx
                             media-uk@xxxxxxxx
                             media-de@xxxxxxxx
                             media-fr@xxxxxxxx
                             media-es@xxxxxxxx
                             media-pt@xxxxxxxx
                             media-it@xxxxxxxx
                             media-gr@xxxxxxxx
                             media-dk@xxxxxxxx
                             media-se@xxxxxxxx
                             media-fi@xxxxxxxx
                             media-ie@xxxxxxxx

   for this and to set people free to concentrate on this work.

   Please consider either operating such a helpdesk or donating for it or
   volunteering to support the work by taking on some media yourself.

   The keyword for donations in this area is, as you might expect: media,
   media-fr, media-nl, etc.

Needed: Advertisement in European Voice et al

   Some MEPs have advised us to insert an advertisement into a newspaper
   which is read by MEPs, such as European Voice, in the week before the
   vote. This would cost around 10000 eur. It seems to have been
   effective in the past.

   This however seems a little too big at the moment. Only when the other
   items have been financed will we plan actions at this level.

How to donate

   The bank account for a donation is

       IBAN[2]: DE78701500000031112097
       Account Owner: FFII e.V.
       Keyword: europarl

   Alternatively you can donate via paypal.com to paypal at ffii org.

   FFII is acknowledged as a public-interest association and we can send
   you a receipt that at least in Germany makes the donation
   tax-deductible. We receipts for all donations of 50 eur or more every
   3 months.

   More detailed information on how to help is being maintained at

       http://www.eurolinux.org/

Needed: Your response NOW

   Please tick:

   [ ] I will be at the demo on Aug 27th 12.00
   [ ] I would like to contribute to preparing the demo of Aug 27th 12.00
   [ ] I will be at the conference in the EP on Aug 27th 14.00
   [ ] I would like to speak at the conference in the EP on Aug 27th 14.00
   [ ] I want to participate in the lobbying team for at least 1/2 day
   [ ] I want to participate in the lobbying team for at least 1 day
   [ ] I want to participate in the lobbying team for at least 2 days
   [ ] I need a place to sleep in BXL on Aug 26-27
   [ ] I need a place to sleep in BXL on Aug 25-26
   [ ] I need a place to sleep in BXL on Aug 27-28
   [ ] I will contact MEP(s) and arrange for a meeting with the lobby team
   [ ] I have followed or will follow the links listed at
       http://swpat.ffii.org/events/2003/europarl/08/index.en.html and
       made/make myself familiar with the various proposals which are under
       discussion in the European Parliament.
   [ ] I will participate in the online demo.
   [ ] I will help bring the software patent issue into the media.
   [ ] I will make a donation.
   [ ] I represent
       [ ] myself only
       [ ] company xxxxxxx.com
       [ ] organisation xxxxxxx.org

Thank you very much for your support!

                                     Notes

   [1] You have registered via

       http://petition.ffii.org/
       http://aktiv.ffii.org/

       as a supporter of FFII/Eurolinux and thereby consented to receiving
       occasional mails, whose scope is strictly limited to enabling you to
       help support the cause. If you disagree, you can downgrade your status
       from "supporter" to "user of the ffii information offers" or lower via
       the menu at the above URL, and you will no longer receive our mails.

   [2] Using the IBAN, money can now be transferred between european
       countries for the domestic fee, thanks to a recent EU directive
       which citizens can enforce against banks.

- --
Hartmut Pilch, FFII & Eurolinux Alliance              tel. +49-89-18979927
Protecting Innovation against Patent Inflation	     http://swpat.ffii.org/
160,000 votes 2000 firms against software patents    http://noepatents.org/

- --
Cheers, cobaco

/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /  No proprietary formats in attachments without request
 X   i.e. *NO* WORD, POWERPOINT or EXCEL documents
/ \  Respect Open Standards
      http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
      http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html