Re: [Devel] wls development and future

On onsdag, jul 30, 2003, at 13:06 Europe/Oslo, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

both codesbases are ugly, wls2 more so then wls1: one monolithic pile of spagetti code, hardly any functions, hard to read, lots of global variables. A maintanance nightmare.

forget wls2, but learn from the user interface, wls2 is not working, no maintainer, says it all...

Petter (and any sane person, at that) wishes for layered and structured code, which seperates HTML, application and backend to make the code maintainable and extensible. This wish collides unfortunatly with the long term goal:

Long term goal:
Have an excellent Admin interface, get the webmin ldap user
module merged upstream, so we dont have to care about it any
longer.

The suggested changes will improve webmin. The maintainer must be happy to receive an improved solution. The new gui must be able to deal with both files and ldap....

THe whole of webmin is perl-coding wise in a sorry state: no code reuse, no modularity, hardly any indention, global variables, awkward, antient use of perl syntax (perl1, as someone suggested), functions dont return their results, they just print them to stdout. This is the case in the whole sourcetree. If we tried to submitt code useing CGI::Application and HTML::Template, this will most likely not be accepted. Our code would not fit in.

I propose to do the following:
Since wls1 works, we could ship that if we wanted to.
if we manage to get wls2 into shape (after restructuring it with
CGI::Application and HTML::Template) in time, we ship that.
Once we have a nicely structured user interface we might notice
that this is one of the main "added values" of skolelinux and
decide to build on this. (i know that other thin-client
management and service providers think so, their web based admin
interface is one of their main focuses.) it would be easy to do
so with the CGI::Applicaton/HTML::Template framwork. Little
efford would be needed to seperate it from webmin.

Sounds good to me with one exception; Rewrite or restructure wls1