Re: [Devel] wls development and future

Andreas Schuldei wrote:

[snip]

Long term goal: Have an excellent Admin interface, get the webmin ldap user
module merged upstream, so we dont have to care about it any
longer.

THe whole of webmin is perl-coding wise in a sorry state: no code
reuse, no modularity, hardly any indention, global variables,
awkward, antient use of perl syntax (perl1, as someone
suggested), functions dont return their results, they just print
them to stdout. This is the case in the whole sourcetree. If
we tried to submitt code useing CGI::Application and
HTML::Template, this will most likely not be accepted. Our code
would not fit in.

Until something better than Webmin comes along, we are going with Webmin. Unfortunately the coding style is not the best, but we will just have to live with it. However, whether or not the user/group admin management is part of Webmin is another question.

I propose to do the following: Since wls1 works, we could ship that if we wanted to.

Combined with a, if necessary command line, tool to generate batch creation of users, this should be acceptable as a version 1 solution. Naturally the use of a command line tool needs to be documented. This batch tool is vital, start of term is coming up and it will be needed very soon.

if we manage to get wls2 into shape (after restructuring it with
CGI::Application and HTML::Template) in time, we ship that.

Didn't you mention above that it wouldn't work in the Webmin framework. Maybe I misunderstood.

Once we have a nicely structured user interface we might notice
that this is one of the main "added values" of skolelinux and
decide to build on this. (i know that other thin-client
management and service providers think so, their web based admin
interface is one of their main focuses.) it would be easy to do
so with the CGI::Applicaton/HTML::Template framwork. Little
efford would be needed to seperate it from webmin.

I think is a good idea. If it means shorter development time, easier maintance and a better user interface then decoupling it from Webmin sounds OK. A few of the other LDAP things could possibly then also go in there.

This raises another question: will other modules be able to build on this? I have specifically in mind a management of LTSP networks, both user-wise, network-wise and h/w-wise. Don't build another Webmin, though. Just keep in mind that other modules/functionality will come along.

--
Med vennlig hilsen
Ragnar Wisløff